- Pay close attention to your surroundings and landmarks, and relate this to your location on a map.
- Stay calm if you get lost. Panic is your greatest enemy. Try to remember how you got to your present location.
- Trust your map and compass, and do not walk aimlessly. If you are on a trail, don't leave it.
- Stay put if it is nightfall, if you are injured, or if you are near exhaustion.
- As a last resort, follow a drainage or stream downhill. This can be hard going but will often lead to a trail or road.